If you are looking for an excellent seafood taverna with style, in a great fun neighborhood that won’t break the bank than look no further than Sardelles (sardines in Greek). This stylish, low-key restaurant packs them in by consistently serving some of the best of Greek classics. Not to be missed is the taramosalata (Greek caviar spread), fried potatoes in extra virgin olive oil, Xoriatiki (Greek) salad, giant grilled squid call Thrapsolo and of course grilled Sardines. Mata, the charming, attractive owner, keeps a watchful eye over the place and wins major bonus points for taking care of the stray dogs in the neighborhood.
Sunday afternoon after 3pm is always a popular time and serves up some of the best people watching in the city as Athenians are out and about with a vengeance.
- Eat like a Greek and order plates to share.
- Visit the bathrooms even if you don’t need to.
- Order the house wine, it’s tasty.
- Don’t miss out on the best lemon tart in the city for dessert.
- Ask for a table outside.
- Visit the Gazi flea market before lunch on Sunday and reward yourself with a meal at Sardelles.